That day in Paris



Do you remember still,

That day, in Paris

When the city got wrapped

In winter’s first snow

And you had snuggled closer still

One late Autumn’s kiss –

Was it the cold, was it the flakes?

I did not want to know

 

In warm mittens,

Enmeshed our hands

(I had wished I could reach beyond

And touch your smiling soul)

Walking by the Seine

Snow instead of the sands

White the flakes of magic

In soft, slow-motioned roll

 

It was perhaps,

The best day of my spring

There, watching your glowing smile

Replace the hiding sun

Notre Dame behind us chimed

Its bells starting to ring.

(You had even forgotten Shakespeare

With its books all overrun)

 

Standing on that bridge then

I wished we had a lock

To trap that moment in a million hearts

And the keys into the Seine

You read my eyes, perhaps we knew

We were bluffing both, the clock

No words then, but just a smile

In the wet of snow and rain

 

The first snowfall of our days

Magic in a show of ice,

Can you forget – no not I

No matter how the seasons flow

Even today, I feel if we go back

Mature, smiling, wise

We’ll find a padlock never there

In the bridge of Paris snow…

 

_____________________________________________

 

Pont des Arts or the love lock bridge on the Seine river in Paris, is famous for its tradition of lovers attaching a lock on the bridge and throwing its keys into the river

Comments

Popular Posts