The day I saw a crow dance



In the seedy streets of the kingdom,

I walk by –

And find, to my annoyance

A shrouded man, dancing in chaos and bliss

Perhaps drunk, intoxicated too

I try to avert him ,

But through his hood, he sees me

And moves around me like a planet

To  a dismal sun

 

His unabashed dance

Makes me ask,

Why this hideous dance?

I sense a smile beneath the hidden shrouds

And he replies,

A king is born,

No, not a king, a god

No, not even a god but Vishnu himself.

Why shouldn’t I dance?

 

How do I know? he continued

I see His entire life – he replies -

Past present and future,

And know what lies in store –

I know a God when I see one.

I ask with surprise

‘Are you a God yourself?’

Here, he stops dancing, shakes his head

And reveals his hood

 

He whispers,

Not a God but cursed by one

I hold my breath as I glare at his face,

A crow, a dancing crow

Who could sense the presence of Gods

I am Kakbhushandi

And I dance in joy

For my saviour is here

He shall redeem me

 

I understand his bliss

Yet wonder

Why this insanity?

He reads my mind,

And clutches my hand

With his clawed palms

When you see Him in all his forms

What do you expect?

And he shows me what he saw

 

Not just incarnations ten,

He shows me millions of Vishnu

In a billion forms

Across uncountable stars and galaxies

In unfathomable looks,

Emotions and shapes of life

Here destroying a monster,

There, engulfing a star

And somewhere even a monster Himself!

 

The universe a lotus

He emanating from within

Creating galaxies countless

In a single breath

And he manifesting therein as well

Until every molecule remembers

It is Him, it is Him

In countless forms alive

While I float alongside, in overwhelm

 

Time and space have wrapped

In infinite loops

While He, out of jest,

Plays different roles

And sees the outcomes

Of the same event

In different ways

But whatever the outcome

He the victor

 

The lights dim - I return

To the rain-drenched streets of Ayodhya

While Kakbhushandi dances

He dances in the rain

And he dances in the night

And he dances, in insanity.

I wake from my reverie –

But where am I?

This noisy metropolis is not Ayodhya

 

What a funny dream, I murmur

But then, a crow flies by me,

Close

Very close

Wait, the scene looks familiar

I saw it in the crow’s vision

But where is Vishnu?

I only hear a distant whisper:

I know a God when I see one….

 

5th October 2024

 

Kakbhusandi – the crow sage – is the ultimate traveller in space, time and beyond in Indian mythology. Cursed multiple times due to his single minded devotion to either Shiva or Rama with no tolerance for others, the wise sage was reborn multiple times in different forms, until he stuck in the form of a crow. His devotion to Rama resulted in him being blessed to be an eternal, a Chiranjeevi (not as celebrated as the others such as Hanuman). Not just immortality, he was also blessed to be able to witness Vishnu across Space and Time, in the multiverse of Creation. It is said, Kakbhushandi was able to witness the unfolding of the saga of Rama and Krishna multiple times with different outcomes, while he was able to flit across these dimensions.

Some versions of our literature say that it was Kakbhushandi who narrated the Ramayana to Valmiki. A reveller of Vishnu, it is said he danced with Shiva on the streets of Ayodhya the day Rama was born – the inspiration for the current poem.


Comments

Popular Posts