It is a quiet Sunday morning,
At Parramatta Square
The pigeons flutter,
A few evangelists preach Christ,
While I stare at the twin ochre towers
Of a century old church.
Jora Girja, I smile – twin church,
Rather twin spires
But it is not John, but James
Whose refuge brings a smile
For I am no longer in Gadigal lands,
I float adrift to Entally,
My Mahanagar too
Has twin towers of hope
Red spires in grey skies,
Showing the path to the faithful
A clammy summer’s day comes
alive,
Where a church survives
Even today
And Sunday prayers resound
In the City of Joy.
The pigeons flutter,
The burden of melancholy
Builds within
Until I read a placard –
I am not the only one lingering
In the bell towers of memory;
Centuries ago, the lady Macquarie
Herself wanted to recreate
A church on a hill –
Her last memory of home;
Every conquest has a price
Another Jora Girja
Another homeland, far in the
hills of Kent
Perhaps it is a mere coincidence
For the British Empire
Had churches galore;
Or perhaps, it is a melancholic convergence
For all the paths of pilgrims –
Do they not lead back home?
Kent or Kolkata,
Calcutta or Parramatta
The belfry echoes,
A curious onlooker stares at twin
spires
But hears a single bell –
The migrant smiles -
His Home has found a new window
In the simple house of God…
27th July 2026
St John’s Church, Parramatta - St John's Anglican Cathedral,
with its twin ochre towers rising above Parramatta Square, is one of
Australia’s oldest Christian sites, dating back to 1803. The distinctive spires
were added during the time of Governor Macquarie, inspired by the twin towers
of the ruined St Mary's Church, Reculver. Elizabeth Macquarie, who saw
Reculver’s towers as one of her last memories of England, encouraged their
recreation in the new colony — turning a distant English landmark into a symbol
of home across the seas.
Comments
Post a Comment