‘We
came this far to see this?’
My
daughter wondered.
At
Robertson, we were staring
At
a giant Pig,
Daubed
in pink,
Celebrating
three decades of a movie.
My
daughter grew up
With
a different pig,
Peppa
would have her excited
But
who’s heard of ‘Babe’?
Yet
she walked around
And
looked at the farm animals
While
I stopped in the winter sun,
Realising,
I was her age,
When
I saw a pig herding sheep.
It
was a lovely memory, worth coming this far.
Thirty
years was a long time
But then, I wondered:
It
was not Babe alone who had aged,
Perhaps
then, I had not come
To
remember a movie;
I
look at my daughter
She
waits patiently
For
her promised pie and milkshake…
9th
August 2026
The
Big Potato at Robertson was one of Australia's famous roadside "big
things", a tradition of oversized sculptures celebrating local industries,
produce and eccentric attractions. Built in 1977, the 10-metre-long fibreglass
potato reflected Robertson's identity as a major potato-growing area in the
Southern Highlands of New South Wales. The original Big Potato eventually fell
into disrepair, but was restored and repurposed in 2025, when it was
transformed into the pink Pig Potato to mark the 30th anniversary of Babe,
the Australian film about a pig who dreams of becoming a sheepdog. The choice
was particularly fitting because Babe was filmed in the Robertson and
Southern Highlands region. Thus, the Pig Potato carries several layers of local
history: the area's potato-growing heritage, Australia's fascination with
"big things", and the unexpected connection between Robertson and one
of Australia's best-loved films.
Comments
Post a Comment