At the Maidan,
I stood under a tall black
statue,
Meeting place for us friends
Ahead of an exciting match at
Eden
‘Let’s meet near that buri,’
A friend had suggested.
Arriving ahead,
I waited,
And to while my time
Looked upon the tall buri
Flag in hand,
Head up in pride,
She stood,
With a fist clenched in
rebellion
‘Do you even know her name?’
A soft voice called out
An old lady asked,
With headmistress-like glasses
Wrapped in a simple but faded
Lemon-white shawl
I felt guilty of ignorance
Every day I passed her,
But not for once
Was I curious.
The shawled lady smiled
‘I was not expecting an answer,
Not from today’s generation –
But she is closer than you
think:
Shot dead at 70, flag in hand
Matangini Hazra still walks amongst
us.’
Fragments of an old story
Returned:
Quit India,
Gandhian, imprisonment
And a death to inspire
More than a life could;
‘Freedom fighter,’ I uttered
While the shawled lady smiled,
‘Her greatest achievement
perhaps
Was not just sacrifice’
‘But a sacrifice knowing
Posterity wouldn’t remember a
name.’
My friends’ voices interrupt
I turn to see them rushing
‘Where are the others?
And why are you mumbling to the buri?’
I turned around
Shawled lady had disappeared.
‘Not buri,’ I correct my
friends,
Hazra – Matangini Hazra…’
5th August, 2026
Matangini Hazra occupies a
unique place in Kolkata's memory, not only as a freedom fighter but as a symbol
of ordinary courage. Born in a poor peasant family in Tamluk, she became deeply
involved in the Gandhian movement and participated in the Civil Disobedience
and Quit India movements. During the 1942 Quit India Movement, at the age of
72, she led a procession in Tamluk carrying the Indian flag and was shot by
British police while continuing to advance, reportedly calling out "Vande
Mataram."
Her memory entered Kolkata's public landscape in a significant way when her statue was unveiled on the Maidan in 1977 — the first statue of a woman erected in Kolkata's public spaces. The city also honours her through Hazra Road, named after her, a major thoroughfare in South Kolkata. In a city filled with monuments to kings, leaders, and intellectuals, Matangini Hazra's presence is unusual: a poor village woman, and grassroots activist whose greatest legacy was not office or fame, but the courage to stand with a flag in her hand when history demanded it.
Comments
Post a Comment