Sloth Bear


The sound of damru

Interrupts my Sunday Statesman,

From my fourth-floor balcony

I stare at the source

 

A sloth bear is guided

By his trainer,

The black sheen on Jambuvan

Has been greyed by the city

 

The Kalandar, equally dishevelled

Walks miles to earn a few rupees;

I can only sigh –

The wilderness has been tamed

 

Brought so close to our city,

Yet are there any takers?

Once upon a time

We would be excited by the damru

 

Today’s kids – they must be busy

Watching Pokemon

Or firing with their Play-stations

Who has time for a sloth bear?

 

Suddenly I feel old,

Tired, I take off my glasses

And feel how time seems frozen

In the world around me

 

I look around –

The sloth bear,

The Old English font

On the Statesman paper

 

The knife sharpener,

The grinder of the stone, shouting

‘Shil katabe,’

The malai-kulfi seller

 

They all feel like migrants

From a different time

People trapped unknowingly

In No-Man’s Land

 

I look at my own reflection

On a window pane

And wonder,

How am I any different?


The bear and his trainer

Outpaced by time in a big city

And I, lost in the migrations of space

In a big world

 

‘Ma, ma, look, a bear!’

The kids on the apartment above me

Usher spring

In my frozen river of time

 

‘Can you ask him to stop?’

The noises of my busy city come back

I can smell the Sunday chicken curry

Someone is cooking even today…

 

23rd August 2026

Comments