A city named Cunnigham

 


‘Dadu,’ I humoured my old historian neighbour

‘If say this city was named

After a British sahib,

What would you call it?

Bentinck-land? Ripon-nagar? Curzon-abad?

What would it be?’

 

Dadu smiled,

He looked at this tomes in the room

‘You stretch my old head,

But if I really had to,

It wouldn’t be something

You people will understand.’

 

‘Not after the rulers,

I would name it after the man

Who re-found our lost country,

But who remembers old Alexander?

Yet, I would name this place,

Cunnigham’

 

 

 

He read the ignorance

In these eyes, and smiled,

‘I told you,

Real heroes, who remembers them?

At least you may recall

His legacy.

 

‘Nalanda? He asked

I nodded, ‘His discovery.

And Sanchi?’

I nodded again to his satisfaction

‘Taxila, Sharavasti, Vaishali,

Kausambhi, Sankisa…’

 

He went on rattling unheard of names

I did realise

He was finder, a seeker

The Indiana Jones we forgot

Over time.

‘Cunningham’, I repeated

 

Dadu smiled,

‘But I am also sure

If Cunnigham Saheb were here,

He would say

Keep the name, Calcutta

What’s in a name?

 

‘But come, pack your bags

Let us go thither –

Another lost kingdom

From the books of Fa-hien,

Let’s find that ancient temple

Or that forgotten city….’

 

I can imagine Cunningham Saheb

Scouting the country

Restoring our regal past -

Another university here

A Kushan pillar there,

But real heroes – Who remembers them….

 

06th September 2026

 

Alexander Cunningham was a British army engineer and archaeologist who made important contributions to the study of India’s ancient history. He is known as the “Father of Indian Archaeology.” In 1861, he became the first Archaeological Surveyor of India and helped establish the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).

Cunningham travelled extensively across India, studying and recording ancient monuments, temples, stupas, inscriptions, and coins. He identified several important Buddhist sites, including Sarnath, Sanchi, and Bodh Gaya. He also used the writings of Chinese travellers such as Xuanzang to locate ancient cities and sites.

His research and surveys helped preserve India’s archaeological heritage and laid the foundation for modern archaeological studies in the country.

Comments