When
I started on this poetic journey with the first, I had wondered if after all
these days, there would be enough iridescence in the fountains of inspiration.
I
surprised myself.
Perhaps
because I had underestimated the strength of my own memories, but more
importantly, the generosity of the city. For once you have walked in her dusty by-lanes,
or wondered at the approaching monsoons from one of many cluttered terraces of
the city, you have immediately exchanged a tiny sliver of yourself for riches that
fail to diminish with time. It stays with you, but only when you choose to see
it.
Like
a tiny stream that reawakens after a spell of rains, if you choose to follow
it, you will stumble upon an endless reservoir.
It
is this reservoir that turns a mundane Mahanagar into a magical Manas
Sarovar. And if you start pondering on its shores, you will be fascinated at
its shimmering reflections – landmarks, old colonial vestiges, sacral shrines,
and most importantly of people – every day’s masses, many of whom are still
struggling to transition from yesterday’s stupor to tomorrow’s expeditious reality.
Yet, we all continue, bit by bit, the various
cogs that move the metropolitan.
The
depth of that reservoir is immense. The colours of those reflections, even when
monochromatic, are fascinating. Those everyday colours and earthy scents have
inspired me to keep writing this collection, sometimes with melancholy, other times
with mirth.
I
hope you enjoy these reflections in the following pages, marvel at the
simplicity of every day’s Calcutta.
I
hope you also realise how much we are ourselves unseen thespians at her podium,
as much as we are also simultaneously the spectator, songwriter, sceptic, and sonneteer,
all looking back into the bioscope of Calcutta…
September
2026
[INTRODUCTION to my anthology, 'Memories of Mahanagar - Vol. 02']
Comments
Post a Comment